BHM Home and Estate Services Blog
Getting your home ready for sale!
We know many folks find the idea of getting their house ready for sale daunting. So many of us just don't no where to start.
First off, I highly recommend that if you plan to sell in the next 3-6 months that you start the process now. It takes quite a bit of time to go thru every drawer, every cabinet, the attic, the basement and the garage. It's an exhausting process.
If you don't have time on your side, getting your home on the market should include the assistance of a professional organizer and stager. This is the fastest, most efficient way to get your house on the market.
If you are energized and have time on your side, we recommend the following:
1. Start cleaning out your home 3 months prior to putting your home on the market.
2. Assign yourself and the members of your family to go thru their own bedrooms and give them deadlines of no more than 2 weeks.
3. After 2-3 weeks you should be ready to tackle the dining room, living room, den, sunroom, kitchen. Assign yourself a room every 2-3 days. That will give you 3 days to complete the cleanout of the room. You should have several empty boxes of which you sort your belongings - use these categories (charity donation, give to family member, junk removal, move to new home, estate sale). That last box is only needed if you plan to have an estate sale which is done only after you have a firmly signed contract on your home and usually done after you've moved or if you are staying in the home till the very end the estate sale happens a week or two prior to your closing date.
4. Start with the easiest rooms first as that way, you will slowly establish a good decluttering rhythm by the time you hit the hard rooms, like the basement, the attic and the garage.
5. By week 6, you should already be hitting these harder spaces which will likely take you a good week or two to clean out each space, thereby bringing you to the 3 month mark which will be right around the time your realtor will want to list your home.
If you are not able to do all this work on your home or don't have family and friends to help you, then by all means hire someone to help you. It's worth every penny, and most organizers/stagers can get your house ready in less than 2 weeks time.
BHM is one of a rare few companies that provide all the needed services to get your home on the market quickly. We do everything from Organizing, Decluttering, Staging, Estate Sales and Charity Cleanout. We cover the same towns that we would cover for our estate sale division so please call us if we can be of service PH: 646-823-5231.
Tell us what you'd like us to blog about!
Leave a Reply.